Sunday, December 2, 2012

Holiday Plans

This may be putting the cart before the horse, but I have made my New Year's plans.  Last year was such an unqualified disaster that I decided I had to do some research for this year.  Every New Year's Eve, LAM and I have a nice dinner and see a movie.  Our favorite movie spot is our local gem the Anthony Wayne.
Originally opened in 1928, and then extensively renovated in 1997 and then again in 2007 for stadium seating and other modern amenities, it is the perfect blend of nostalgic movie-going with modern technology.  It is truly extraordinary and often shows independent films as well as main stream releases.

Last year, we had an exchange student from Japan living with us and I decided that a movie in this theater would be the perfect American holiday experience for her.  Unfortunately, I chose a movie based solely upon its reviews without actually reading them.  I chose, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", without having read the book or having any idea what it was about.  Needless to say, about 20 minutes into the movie, I grabbed my 17 year old host daughter and we flew out of that theater as fast as our feet would carry us hoping that her little mind would not be warped forever.  It was an epic failure.  We came home and watched "Midnight in Paris" on demand in our family room.  The movie was delightful, but the theater experience was not quite the same.  I am determined not to repeat the experience, so I chose early.  This year's selection will be "Hyde Park on Hudson".
It is described as "The story of the love affair between FDR and his distant cousin Margaret Suckley centered around the weekend in 1939 when the King and Queen of the United Kingdom visited upstate New York.
So far the reviews have been mixed, but I think it will be a fun ride never the less.  It will be interesting to see a glimpse of the world that many have wondered about, but little is known.  I'm excited to see it.  It's being released (fittingly) on December 7.

-ESM

No comments:

Post a Comment